Aug 29, 2008

Cicadas

Don't mind me, no posts, no phone calls, it's just my damn kidney's, acting up.
Stuffing my mouth with antibiotics, per usual. But in any event the Greek scored some damn hot designer stuff, AGAIN!!! He's good like that.
About a week ago I posted a Myspace blog, my private profile, about cicadas. No reason, I was just missing them, you see I have always loved those twisted insects. They remind me of my childhood. I recall their "song" each summer, to me it signified the beginning of summer. I would play with their discarded shells in my back-yard for hours.
Cicadas are just my thing.
The Greek and I once went on a junking tour, far away from our home. We arrived at a large barn, where a very very eccentric woman lived. We bought so much stuff from her, not things to sell, but things to hold and look at. When we left we took a picture with her, and a HUMONGOUS cicada landed on my husband's shoulder. That was such an incredible sign to me, of what I have no idea, but mostly for good luck.
We actually brought him home with us, where he stayed on our back porch for the nite.
He flew away mid-morning.
In Japan last summer we were surrounded by the song of the cicadas, it was deafening. They were huge, almost scary, but incredibly beautiful.
So I was pleasantly surprised last week, when I walked our front yard and saw our tree, covered in the shells of newly molted cicadas.
We even we able to watch a few emerge from their shells.

I picked up this info somewhere:
"To the ancient Greeks the cicada symbolised resurrection, rebirth and immortality and is mentioned as being sacred to the ancient Greek sun god Apollo. Homer mentions cicadas in the Iliad and compares the discourse of "sage chiefs exempt from war" to the song of the cicada.


In Taoism the cicada is the symbol of the hsien, or soul, disengaging itself from the body at death.


Ancient Greeks and Chinese made a habit of keeping male Cicadas in cages for the pleasure of hearing them sing.


Cicadas had a powerful effect on ancient artists as they feature on numerous coins and gems both before and after the time of Christ. A number of beautiful gems have also been found carved in the likeness of the cicada. The cicadaĆ­s emergence from the earth was a powerful symbol for ancient Romans with members of the nobility taking to wearing a gold brooch featuring a cicada to hold back their hair.


Cicadas also feature in Japanese carvings on small medicine boxes and they are mentioned in ancient Hindu law in India."

So it is not so unusual to love a bug.
But today I was googling "World of Mirth" a toy store that I had read about quite awhile ago. The sad part is that the owners and their 2 young daughters were senselessly murdered, I can't even write about it, it wrecked me for many months.
I cannot imagine the depth of pain their family and friends still must be dealing with.
In any event, I found this blog:

There must be something in the air, synchronicity, about the cicada.

No comments: